We can learn a lot about a website that works from the movie “Cool Hand Luke”.
Remember “Cool Hand Luke”? Featuring Paul Newman, who stars in title role as Luke, a prisoner in a Florida prison camp who refuses to submit to “the system.”
The warden tells him: “What we’ve got here is failure to communicate“.
Most websites don’t pass the grunt test. That means when someone looks at your website, they just “don’t get it.”
It means there’s room for improvement. There’s always room for improvement.
To convert browsers into subscribers, and subscribers into customers you need to build a website that communicates.
You need to build a website that really works.
The #1 thing that’s going to make your website work is clarity. You’ve got to be crystal clear about the value you’re offering your customers. Like Luke you’ve “gotta have your head straight.”
There 10 things your website really needs to achieve clarity.
Here they are:
The 10 Essentials Of A Niche Website That Works
- A Unique Value Proposition that speaks to your audience.
- A Featured Image that illustrates how your customer will benefit from your product or service.
- An Easy To Understand Headline with a subhead. Do it in six and twelve. Describe what you do in six words. Sell the major benefit in twelve. Or vice versa. Make sure that one of these headlines contains the primary keyphrase you’re aiming for with your SEO.
- A Lede/Introductory Copy that tells your story from the customer’s perspective. *It must demonstrate empathy and authority*
- A Lead Magnet, or Free Offer, that solves a major problem for your customers
- A Call To Action that encourages your prospect to take the first step
- A Few Bite-sized Products & Services. These should illustrate your “value ladder”; how your customers can engage with you (1) for free (2) with your introductory offer, and (3) fully engaged.
- A Few Testimonials for social proof
- Optimized Unique Content. 300 words per page optimized by keyphrase. 1,200 Words for home page.
- Built For Speed. Needs to load in 2 secs or less. Be Responsive, i.e., works on PCs, Laptops, Tablets, & Smartphones.
These are the fundamental building blocks for building a website that works. If any one of these is missing your results will suffer.
The good news is that all this can be accomplished with 8 to 10 pages: Home, About, Products/Services, Testimonials, Contact, Lead Magnet, 3 bite sized products or services.
You don’t have to be stubborn like Cold Hand Luke. You can still be rebellious. And infuse your website with your personality. But it is important to know the rules. Because you’ve got to know the rules to break them.
Need ideas to improve your site? Simply apply for our 5-minute makeover!