Keep it simple. Everything on the website should have a purpose.
1. Your site should be found through Google Search
In addition to SEO, there’s Local SEO, Video SEO, News SEO, all of which can help you be found faster and easier than ever.
2. Your site should work well on smart phones and tablets
More and more people are searching with their smart phones these days. Responsive websites (like this one) are cross-browser compatible and work on smart phones and tablets, too.
3. Your site should accurately represent your business and you should be able to update it on the fly
It’s good to be able to adapt the changes in the environments. Are you able to update the messaging on your your website site quickly and easily? It’s also good to test new ideas and offers. Site’s built on WordPress are awesome, and they’re very easy to update!
4. Your site should not just be about you but “speak” to your target audience and solve a real problem
The new social marketing model is built on engagement. You would find it very boorish if you went to a party and started talking to someone and all they did was talk about themselves.
5. Your site should be engaging and help you connect with new prospects & customers
It’s important that your site communicates value, and gives your prospects and customers a reason to interact with you. Do you have a high value offer on your website that invites people to give you their email address?
6. Your site should connect with the social media your customers use
Social signals matter more than ever in Search Marketing. Go where your customers are. Use the social media they’re using. Create a social identity on Google+, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest… wherever your customers are.
7. You should know what your website is doing for you
There are many analytics tools you can implement on your website, the best of which is Google Analytics, which is absolutely free. You should set it up to measure your conversions and see what your website is doing for you.
Of course these are just the essentials, there are lots more things you can do to make your website work for you.