When life knocks you down it sucks. It really sucks.
I understand. But there’s nothing like a big life event or good setback to create a springboard for personal and professional growth.
Sometimes life can throw you for a loop. When things like this happen it can turn your world upside down…
The Law of Attraction
In a previous post that I wrote with one of my clients, I affirmed the importance of maintaining a positive attitude–no matter what. I suggested a couple of books: ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’ and ‘Think and Grow Rich’. These are without a doubt the two single most important books in the self-help industry.
Like attracts like”
The Law of Attraction is a metaphysical belief that “like energy attracts like results”, i.e., that positive thinking brings about positive results and negative thinking brings about negative results. In “Think And Grow Rich”, Napoleon Hill affirms that thoughts are objects, and ideas are the wellspring of abundance.
When you channel your desire, affirm your beliefs, visualize your success, you can re-program your mind to think successful thoughts. The effect of this “rewiring” is that you can catch yourself when you’re being negative.
As with the concept of mindfulness in Buddhism you can see your thoughts are objects, and train yourself to dismiss your negative thoughts.
The Power Of Meditation
The key to stilling the left brain to create greater inner awareness. Many mystics have taught their students to develop greater inner and psychic awareness through meditation. This works because it is a great way to quiet the constant stream of thoughts that wander through our heads. A great way to do this is:
- Stop what you’re doing (Quiet your mind and take note of your breathing or body sensations)
- Take 3 really deep breaths (Visualize breathing in health and vitality–and breathing out toxins and things holding you back)
- Just relax (Pretend like you’re floating)
- Be grateful for where you are right now (Be thankful for what you have–even your current problems–because abundance springs from gratitude. Say to yourself: “I was born for a specific purpose, and I am grateful for the opportunity to use my talents to serve others.” )
- Affirm your belief that you will have abundance (say to yourself “I have more than enough money to pay all my bills, pay my taxes, fund my retirement, and expand my charitable giving.”)
- Visualize yourself in possession of lots of money (What does it feel like? What would you do with it? Anything different?)
If you do this, you’ll begin to see patterns of how your left brain chatter is overwhelming all of your creative impulses, and by quieting your left brain you’re able to unleash your creativity with the power of ideas. Try this exercise now again now for a 2nd time, and listen to your inner voice. What is your inner voice telling you to do? Without a doubt, “that” is what you should be doing.
If you listen to your creative impulses and your intuition, it will guide you in a positive direction.
Give and it will be given to you”
Actions produce results. Left brain chatter stymies action, so no results. It’s simple.
Big Question: What would you do if money wasn’t an object? Would you do anything differently?
If you had extra resources to accomplish your goals, what would you do? Chances are it’s not resources that are holding you back. It’s simply the idea that you don’t have enough resources that’s actually holding you back. You are holding yourself back.
As Eckhart Tolle affirms in “A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose”:
“Whatever you think the world is withholding from you–you in fact are withholding from the world. […] Give, and it will be given to you.”
So what is it that’s holding you back?